Monday, December 15, 2008

I think this is what happened?


So as you all know I was in Kansas City last weekend for Nationals. First off what a great venue and thanks for all the good wishes. Sunday morning was the collegiate race. Had a good start and got up to the top 3 early. Had a bad wreck on the first lap which made me fall out of the top 3. Ended up braking my left Red shifter off. Luckily the guys at SRAM hooked it up and got me rolling with a new one in 15min. You guys rock! Back to the race. I fell back to 10th after my crash and my bike exchange. I chased hard and worked my way back up to Isaac and Kip. Last lap I was in the group of 5-7th. I knew I had to attack on the hill so I went for it. Wayne was cheering his face off for me which really helped. I some how pulled it off and slipped my way onto the podium. I think I could of done much better if I had a clean race. I was not riding very smooth.

After the collegiate race I went and changed because I only had about an hour before the elite race. I was pretty exhausted and hurt from my two bad crashes. I got a bbq sandwich and hit the trainer to keep the legs warm. I started 3rd row which was not bad. Had a good start and felt good throughout the elite race. My goal was not to get lapped. About half way through the race I crashed and that's last I remember. I guess I crashed and hit my head real hard. Next thing I knew I was half way home from Kansas in Isaac's Car. I suffered a concussion sometime in the elite race and do not not remember where I crash or what happened. If anyone saw me crash let me know because I got no clue what happened. I am all good now I have gotten a CAT scan and all that good stuff. Time for 3 weeks off. Bring on the beer and food. More pictures to come. Thanks everyone for a great season of cyclocross. I had a BLAST!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mike,

You are correct,I was cheering my face off, I could not control myself, you were racing like the cops were chasing you! Impressive attack on the hardest section of the course that cracked 6th & 7th off the back. Sorry to hear you are concussed, enjoy the off season.

Old man racer

Anonymous said...

Great job on 5th place. I'm sure you would have smoked the elite too.

T

Sarah Lukas said...

way to have an awesome weekend - besides the crash...bummer you missed your podium! Isaac said you were kind of incoherent...