Sunday, April 27, 2008

Brown County Road Race


I thought it would be a good idea this weekend to do the Brown County Road race this weekend thinking it would be good training for nationals. My other teammates ventured to St. Louis to do some crits (which now I wish I did). I knew this road race was going to be wicked because I had ridden the course before but did not know the exact direction the course was going to be headed. This park that the course was located could be one of the hilliest places in Indiana. With hills reaching peaks over 1000ft.

Graham and I thought why not make this the most epic day possible so we rode out the the course which is about 25miles. luckily we had a nice tail wind so it did not take us too long to get out there. As many might know it is not flat around here so there will still plenty of climbs that need to be climbed on the way out to the park.

The turn out for the race was rather low. The 1/2/3 field had a whopping 26 riders. And Jake the snake was there which made me think this was not going to be an easy race. First lap up the large climbs the field was cut into half, 2nd lap up the hills the field was shattered into small groups. I suffered all day just trying to get up the dam hills. The loop was only 5miles long but we had to do the darn thing 12 times. Each lap had at least a couple hundred feet of climbing. I ended up being the last finisher which gave me the place of 10th overall. 10 out of 26 finished. WOW! Graham and I tried to ride home and got a few miles down the road and stopped at the golden arches were we stuffed our faces and waited for Pam to come pick us up. Pam is a god for picking us up. I honestly don't think I could of made it home.

Winona Lake is next weekend which should be a blast because it is our team race. Then off to Colorado the week after that for nationals. Racing season is here and I am loving every bit of it.

No comments: